Friday 4 May 2007

MySpace Bully Boy Tactics

So the time has come. MySpace have threatened legal action if we don't shut down friendr.net. The reason given was:

"any automated use of the system, such as using scripts to add friends"

Personally, I wouldn't say that friendr was automated. Users have to click to add the users and even then they still have to confirm that they want to add the user. This isn't much different than just browsing for users on MySpace and adding them that way.

If they're talking about the bulletins, even then, users still have to submit the form and verify it. This isn't what I class as automated.

Perhaps they don't like the fact that we take away precious page views from their site. Perhaps they don't like a useful tool for people who want to promote their band or profile. Who knows.

We're not sure what the future of friendr.net is going to be at the moment. We can't afford to take on Fox in court, but then again who can? It looks like, if MySpace say "jump", we have to ask how high.

For those of you how are interested in how MySpace handle such matters then here's a transcript:

The original messages I received were via MySpace to my personal account. Posted in chronological for easier reading.

From: wiley
Date: 30 Apr 2007, 14:48

Hey, are you the owner of friendr.net?

If so, my name is Jason, i'm the abuse manager for MySpace.com and we need to to shut down your site ASAP or we will be forced to pursue legal action.

I tried to call, but it appears your number is fake

if you have any questions please call me 310 969 7369

Thank you,
MySpace.com



From: K
Date: May 3, 2007 2:20 AM

Yeah I'm sure you are the abuse manager.

That's why you contacted me over MySpace rather than emailing me.

Idiot.



From: wiley
Date: 03 May 2007, 07:43

What is your email?
you can also email me
jwiley@myspace.com



From: K
Date: May 3, 2007 11:37 AM

You can contact me via the site.



From: wiley
Date: 03 May 2007, 07:51

I just deleted your account #171161388
is that confirmation enough for you?



From: K
Date: May 3, 2007 12:53 PM

Fair enough.

Could you answer a couple of questions for me?

Why do I have to shut down the site? Other similar sites such as SSFriendship.com and FriendStorm.net have been going for months without being closed down. So why do I have to shut friendr.net.

Also, for what reason was my friendr myspace profile deleted?

Could you email me, instead of using myspace as it's handier. admin@friendr.net

- Jim

These messages were sent to my email address. Again, chronological order, for reading.

Jason Wiley wrote:

We are working on shutting the others down as well.

You issued a press release that made it sound like you partnered with us, not cool.

Your account as well as the ssfriendship account were deleted for violation of terms and services

Read them sometime

Jason Wiley
Product Manager - Abuse
MySpace.com | Fox Interactive Media

jwiley@myspace.com Office: 310.969.7369




From: Admin - Friendr.net [mailto:admin@friendr.net]
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2007 1:59 PM
To: Jason WileySubject: Re:

We didn't issue a press release at all. The only promotion we did fothe site was on digg and myspace itself. I'm aware that something was posted on mashable.com and a couple of other site's but we didn't write them.

Which part of the terms and service agreement did we validate? I'll happily have a read if you point me in the right direction.

- Jim



Jason Wiley wrote:

any automated use of the system, such as using scripts to add friends or send comments or messages;

Jason Wiley
Product Manager - Abuse
MySpace.com | Fox Interactive Media

jwiley@myspace.com Office: 310.969.7369


From: Admin - Friendr.net [mailto:admin@friendr.net]
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2007 2:34 PM
To: Jason Wiley
Subject: Re:

Technically though, there's nothing automated about the site. User's
have to manually click the users to add them. It's just a resource for
people who want to promote their band/profile. It's nothing like the
adder robots that are around.



Jason Wiley wrote:
Look, you can shut down or I can get Fox legal to shut you down, it's
your choice

Jason Wiley
Product Manager - Abuse
MySpace.com | Fox Interactive Media

jwiley@myspace.com Office: 310.969.7369

So there you go, that's how things roll in MySpace land.


8 comments:

Jay said...

Wow, they're paying clueless teens to do their dirty work it seems. None of the messages you recieved were at all professional as cease and desist requests... he didn't even give a direct reason until nearly the last message, in which it was a pasted, invalid, unexplained single line.

Considering how they have no grounds against you and can't even deal with the issue properly, screw them.

Anonymous said...

I say blow them off until you get a C&D from a grownup. I'm appalled at the lack of sophistication from this "manager" at Myspace. I hope R Murdoch sees what idiots he has running his enforcement division.

Anonymous said...

one other thing, I'm leaving the html up on my myspace page. what are they going to do about that?

Roy Wilding said...

Wow I'm shocked by the lack of professionalism and bully boy tactics.

I suspect this Jason bloke took offense to your initial response but I think most people would have suspected it wasn't legit.

He's probably some jumped up little shit with short man syndrome that likes to think he can throw his weight about cos he works for MySpace

Unknown said...

Don't listen to them. Make them shut friendr down the hard way -- put up a fight!

Friendr.net said...

Well, I'm not even going to contemplate shutting it until I receive a C&D from Fox.

I can't take this guy seriously due to his lack of professionalism.

So for now, We're still going :)

Unknown said...

whats the myspace that he contacted you from?

N Gibson said...

I found something awesome for adding friends and mass messaging which works on any social network. it's pretty versatile. theres also a 14 day free trial. it's called webdominator.